Sunday, October 2, 2011

A month has gone by since I penned my last comments. From the 9th to the 14th I was on Virginia's Eastern Shore, where Nancy Lee Fendall spent some time and got her first ride in an automobile, to Cape Charles. She got there by ferry; I drove over and thru the Bay Bridge. I made three presentations there. Watching the sun, then the moon set over the Chesapeake Bay at The Baywood B & B in Cape Charles turned the trip into a delightful overdue vacation.

Next I did two talks for Geo Mason U's Fall for the Book Festival. One was at Blenheim, a farmhouse in Falls Church used as a hospital for Union soldiers. It was my second appearance there and I hope I'm invited back next year.


Yesterday I was the guest of one of the local DAR chapters and the ladies were one of my best audiences. While Letters is about the Civil War, the conditions under which those families lived was not that much different from those experienced by people during the Revolutionary War, 85 years earlier. Neither had indoor plumbing or electricity and horse power was just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment